The Monroeville Municipal Authority is accepting applications for full-time Utility Workers. Interested parties are required to complete and submit an employment application to the Monroeville Municipal Authority, 219 Speelman Lane, Monroeville PA 15146. Applications are due by May 25, 2021. A link for the employment application can be found at the bottom of this job summary or can be picked up at the Authority office
The Utility Worker is responsible for a variety of manual and semi-skilled labor duties for the repair, construction, and maintenance of the water distribution and wastewater collection system.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS INCLUDE:
- Performs manual labor work to include installation of pipes and fittings for repair, construction, leak detection, and maintenance of water and wastewater systems.
- Operates dump trucks, Sewer Jets and skid loaders.
- Excavates and backfills trenches in order to complete repairs.
- Transports equipment, tools, and materials to and from job sites.
- Load and unload materials from trucks including stocking with necessary equipment
- Cleans, organizes, and maintains facilities, tools, and equipment.
- Observes and promotes all established safety procedures.
- Interprets maps.
- Handle customer relations including collection of overdue water and sewer accounts.
- May assist with the setup of work zone barricades and signs for traffic control.
- May inventory tools, equipment, and materials.
- May provide training on the proper usage of tools and equipment.
- Install, maintain and repair of residential and commercial meters including exterior.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Management.
- Valid Pennsylvania Commercial Driver’s Driver License (CDL), Class B or higher with tanker endorsement or the ability to obtain within ninety (90) days of employment and be insurable by Monroeville Municipal Authority.
- Position specific physical testing.
- Resident of Monroeville Municipality or comply within (6) months.
- Two (2) years of experience in construction of water/sewer distributions or other underground utility maintenance, or a similar construction experience.
- Pass pre-employment, random, post-accident, and reasonable suspicion drug screens
- Pre-employment medical fit-for-duty test and background check.
- With the health and safety of our employees, customers and the communities we serve in mind, all candidates who receive an offer of employment will be required to complete a COVID-19 risk assessment and comply with COVID-19 safety policy in daily operations. Your responses will help us determine an employment start date.
- Knowledge of operating characteristics and safety procedures for equipment being operated.
- Knowledge of materials, tools, and equipment typically used in maintenance or construction.
- Knowledge of hazards and safety measures as they apply to the type of work being performed.
- Knowledge of safety practices and procedures, including traffic control.
- Ability to understand and follow written and verbal instructions.
- Ability to perform all physical requirements of the job.
- Ability to work in adverse weather conditions.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively.
- Ability to maintain and establish effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, and general public and comply to the terms defined in the labor unions contract per the position.
LIST OF EQUIPMENT
The following equipment is currently considered to be generally appropriate for this position. Additional equipment not on this list must be of similar size, weight, and complexity.
- Pickup Trucks, Class 2 Commercial Vehicles
- Trench Pump and Hose
- Jack Hammer
- Tap machines
- Trench Shoring
- Pipe Repair Clamps
- Shoring Pump
- Copper Tubing Rolls
- Trench Tampers
- Digging Bar, Shovels
- Hole Hog
- Maul & Other Hand Tools
- Tack Oil Wand
- Leak detection equipment
- Asphalt Lute and Roller
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
Physical requirements include lifting/carrying up to 40 pounds frequently and 80 pounds occasionally, pushing a maximum force of 100 pounds, and pulling a maximum force of 150 pounds. Qualifying applicants will be required to pass a physical ability test to demonstrate their ability to perform the essential functions of the position
Subject to standing, sitting, walking, climbing, bending, crawling, squatting, kneeling, and working in cramped and strained positions for long periods of time. Requires visual acuity, speech, and hearing.
Working conditions are primarily outside with frequent exposure to inclement weather; wastewater; mechanical, electrical, chemical, and confined space hazards; offensive fumes; excessive noise; heavy traffic; deep excavations; and animals, snakes, and poisonous insects. May be required to comply with requirements as specified in applicable regulations for personal protective equipment, including clearance for use of respiratory protection and other associated equipment. Operates a company vehicle daily.
Required to work hours other than regular schedule such as days, nights, weekends, holidays, on-call, and rotating shifts.
Starting pay and benefits for employees will be determined by applicable bargaining unit agreement and company policy requirements.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
This job description is subject to change at any time. It reflects management’s assignment of essential functions and does not exclude or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Monroeville Municipal Authority will provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, gender, genetic information, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.